Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Extra: Mexican Dip (AKA My Favorite Dip Ever)

Dip is my favorite thing to bring to parties. Everyone likes dip, you get to eat chips, and there's any number of fantastic recipes out there just waiting to be tried out. This one I got from my mother, who's been making it as long as I can remember. I resisted eating it for a long time because I don't like even one of the ingredients in it (besides the cheese, obviously), but when I finally tried it I was hooked. And she sweetly made it for my bridal shower, this past Christmas, and just cause I came home one weekend. Mom, you're a genius.

Sorry it's so dark - I was in a rush to an NFL party :)


The other great thing about this recipe is you can't beat it for simple. There's no cooking, really, you just put four ingredients together, throw some cheese on top and pop it in the oven til it's melted.

Ingredients:
8 oz sour cream (low-fat or fat-free works)
8 oz cream cheese (low-fat or fat-free works)
1 can Frito's refried bean dip (found in the chip aisle)
1 packet taco seasoning
Cheese to melt on top - Cheddar Jack or Sharp Cheddar is yum

Preparation:
Mix first four ingredients together. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melted at 350 degrees. Voila!
If you want to change it up a little bit (like we do), add some extra crushed red pepper flakes and garlic powder to the mix. It adds a lot of kick to an already-tasty dip.

Seriously y'all, I take this everywhere (unless I'm taking Colleen's famous buffalo chicken dip - upcoming later :)) and it's always a crowd-pleaser. Can't wait for the Superbowl so I have an excuse to eat it again!

1 comment: